Old and Separate
The character 古 (old) is used to make 個 (separate).
So, as you know by now, we have gattai (合体) aka union(s). In the first Aquarion series, there was also nenshin (念真) gattai (合体) indicating that the elements in the union were genuinely (真) united through their thoughts (念). The character used for thought (念) is made up of 2 other characters: now (今) stacked on top of heart (心).
Oh yeah, the episode
Hi guys. As you all know, the spring anime season is starting this week. We’re happy to announce that we’re recruiting some spare staff (namely timers and typesetters) to help out with the workload. Fansubbers of all occupations are welcome to apply, but it’s hard to say whether we’ll actually need you to do something or not. Please be sure to read over the requirements carefully before you consider applying.
- IRC Capability: We use IRC on a daily basis to communicate and we expect new members to be on IRC.
- Age: Please be a minimum of twenty (20) years old, but no older than thirty (30). You can take a picture of your identification card or drivers license for this step.
- Fansubbing Experience: You must either be in a fansub group or have previous experience working in one. Use your portfolio to provide samples of work you’ve done for other groups.
- Cover Letter: Minimum 3 paragraphs. Remember to use your cover letter to introduce yourself and reinforce what your resume says. In some cases, you may even be able to express things that your resume won’t be able to express.
- Resume: Your resume should tell us where you learned fansubbing, what groups you’ve worked for, and what kind of skills you have. You can also use it to list your references in other fansub groups.
- Portfolio: Your portfolio must show us work from fansub releases you’ve worked on and must have a minimum of work from five (5) different anime series.
- References: Minimum 2 group leaders -OR- 4 non-group leader fansubbers. Please include a list of your references with your resume.
- Remember to include your phone number on your resume or cover letter header! Our secondary form of communication is text messaging.
In order to begin the application process, query Freya on Rizon and provide her with your cover letter, resume and portfolio. If we like what we see in your portfolio, we will move onto a proper interview over IRC. If you’re a complete idiot, we will probably kickban you from IRC. If you are an okay dude, then you may receive a skills assessment test.
In the past year, we recruited both 8thsin and Zwill using this method. We’re quite happy with these staff members and the work they produce. We hope to add another member or two like them to our group. Thanks for your interest in gg & good luck!
Last year we did a series of 4 standalone pieces called the 2010 Young Animator Training Project. You can grab them from BakaBT if you’re interested. As I announced on the temp webpage, we have plans to do the 2011 series. Currently, we’re working on one of them, and the other three are at translation. The translator has been busy recently.
And by “busy” I mean “all I see on his facebook wall is pictures of him and girls in Japan”.
So er, yeah. Here’s a new website. Also, the spring anime season starts in like 1.5 weeks. Aquarion is 2cour/20+ eps, so it will continue on next season. The other translators were talking about waiting until after simulcast announcements were made, so you might not see anything new from us until the episode 2s start airing.
Ported over from the temp website.
- (EVOL 12) Shrade references the first ending from Aquarion, Omna Magni. The lyrics are gibberish-y. They have a Japanese translation that is also gibberish-y. If we were to insert an English translation of the Japanese translation of Omna Magni of the lyrics used in the preview, it would be something like, “When the boys feelings do a lizard tail, the girl learns of the night dew for the first time. But the two of them have a silent night.” The more you know?
- (EVOL 11) Mikage’s line describing a boy of “amber eyes and golden hair” is literal. The script writer might’ve gotten it wrong or I don’t know what.
- (EVOL 9) Fudo & the others all use sayings/proverbs with the word hole or something like a hole – pit, den. Since the English equivalents to those sayings/proverbs don’t actually keep the word hole/pit/den, we modified them into English equivalents but with the word hole. Crea’s on the other hand is a parody of the Japanese saying “boys before flowers”, replacing “hana” (flowers) with “ana” (holes) which no one actually says hence why the other 3 groan at her after. The “ana”gram in the episode title is also a pun on ana meaning hole.
- (EVOL 8) Yes, Go Tight actually plays in the episode. No, we didn’t bother timing/translating it because insert karaoke is for dumb “completionist” subbers. Mix’s line in the preview is a pun. “Anata” = you/~darling~, “ana” = hole. “Anata” was translated as something else so it works in English.
- (EVOL 7) Yes, Jin keeps referencing Go Tight lyrics in Aquarion EVOL. No, we’re not translating them in special ways. Japanese has, uhm, let’s just say context issues.